A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 18 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work. Employers should have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work. 


Who needs a work permit?

Work Permits are needed for individuals ages 12 through 17.

How to get a work permit:

To obtain a work permit, the minor or parent must visit a permit officer.  Permit officers are representatives of the Department of Industry, Labor, and Human Relations. Many of the permit officers are school officials, but other public employees such as municipal and county employees and court officials are also included.


To obtain a work permit at any location, you must have:

  • Employer’s written intent to hire, including job duties to be performed, the hours and times of day. 
  • The company’s name, address and phone number must be on the letter and the letter must be signed by the owner or manager.
  • Parental/Guardian written consent.
  • Proof of age: Original Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, Valid operator’s license or photo ID issued by the Department of Transportation.
  • Social Security Card.
  • $10.00 permit fee (If the minor pays the fee, the employer must reimburse the minor no later than the first paycheck.)
  • School address minor attends or school district.

          Work permits will not be issued without the above documents

  1. Minor can sign the permit when it is completed, with the Permit Officer present to witness signature.
  2. Parent can sign for the minor with the Permit Officer present to witness the signature.


County Work Permit Locations/Times

Waukesha County- Contact your local high school for work permit information

Ozaukee County- Contact your local high school for work permit information

Washingon County- Click here for a list of work permit locations and times






Workforce Development Board Youth CouncilSite Map